Monday, June 7, 2010

Freaks

I'm not too sure what to write about Freaks at the moment since my only exposure has been through the article, detailed as it was at summarizing the story and injecting as much relevent personality in the characters brought up within the article. From the cast list given at my good friend Wikipedia however, there's more on the characters that I'd like to learn.

My thoughts on the article at first is that it seemed fairly well written, given I could follow it without prior knowledge about Browning's story. It was easy to follow the reasoning provided in the examples.

One thing I found interesting about the article was how he critiqued the film on subverting the subversion, on how the freaks of the circus go from a victim to the punisher. While it's true that Cleo merely recieved what she deserved, it gives the appearence that the stereotype of them being dangerous is true.

It kind of reminds me of the fan reaction to the 2010 film, Kick-Ass. The original source, the comic, was a huge subversion of the superhero genre. The movie stayed faithful up to a point, when it changed the entire message of the story to one more uplifting. Despite advertising itself initally as not your typical superhero flick, halfway through the story it became one. Despite Freaks advocating how circus freaks can be just like anyone else, the ending enforces how they are different from others and to mess with one of them would bring retribution from everyone.

Then again, I guess gang mentality isn't really inhuman either.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed. Or perhaps it doesn't matter whether they are the victims or the revengers - what Browning invokes, maybe, is our own inhuman potential.

    ReplyDelete